Saturday, August 16, 2014

Gionti Wins by Intimidation Choke at Caged Madness

Caged Madness was, by all accounts, a very successful event.  Well attended, well run, professional job by all - except one person.  GR’s Nikolai Gionti was left standing at the threshold of fighting once again.  This time his opponent had the stones to at least make the venue, weigh in, and show up to fight.   But as his entrance music played he was seen exiting the building, leaving Nick standing in the cage.  They say a win is a win, but this can’t feel good.  Nick had this to say on his Facebook page.

Warming up
Well, I can't make this up. We weighed in and he was heavy. I agreed to fight him at 139 lbs. It took me being fully dressed and stuffed with items in my pockets in order to get that heavy. We got back to the venue and he was there. We both showed up to the fighter meeting and I got fully wrapped. Our fight was announced and his entrance music played, but he didn't show up. We waited through his entire song for him to come, but he never did. Instead he was out in the parking lot refusing to fight. I like to respect my opponent, but this is absurd. Steve Paugh should never be allowed to fight again in any commission in any state. That is all. I'll be back and hopefully I'll have an opponent.

Nick is one of the hardest training of the new blood in the gym.  He’s earned and deserves his shot at being a full team member.  Jason will move quickly to find him another fight.

Written by: Bob Donaghy

1 comment:


  1. I started muay thai at a young age. My initiation was a series of kick boxing. Later on I realize that I need to grow in some techniques and styles so I enlist into muay thai. Now, I am loving every inch of it and it has become a profession so dear to me. kudos to all the muay thai teachers out there.

    ReplyDelete